Just like a quality knife, a good cutting board or chopping block is a kitchen essential. Not only will it protect your countertops but will also make food prep safer and easier to clean up. Most of us do tend to spend a lot of time in our kitchens, so a high-quality, durable cutting boards will increase much fun and pleasure.
Functionally speaking, it should be durable for cutting, slicing, chopping, or mincing food.
The boards should also provide stability during use, it is a basic requirement that the boards are without cracking and deformation.
Hygienically speaking, the surface of the boards should not trap bacteria, which assures safe and hygienic food preparation.
A good cutting board material must be soft, easy to clean, and non-abrasive, but not fragile to the point of being destroyed. Compare with the wood cutting board and plastic cutting board, the bamboo cutting board is safer.
The Advantages of the Bamboo Cutting Boards
- Character: high hardness, good toughness: According to Janka hardness test (Source: Janka hardness test Wikipedia), Bamboo is surprisingly strong but still light and flexible. Bamboo utensils are long-lasting, and much more durable than wooden and plastic ones.
- In compressive strength bamboo was superior to many hardwoods as well. Moreover, the density of the fiber in the bamboo makes it more resistant to tension and pressure.
- Non-Absorbent Material. Bamboo cutting boards don’t absorb liquids as easily as wooden boards, which makes them less prone to cracking and warping. Being naturally non-porous, bamboo is more resistant to bacteria and can last longer compared to the wooden boards.
- Bamboo resists retaining water and as a result, will not warp or crack as easily as normal wood.
- Easy to maintain
- Fresh fragrance and environmentally friendly
With a fashionable appearance, smooth surface and comfortable touch, the bamboo cutting board is a perfect choice for cutting board.
There are currently 2 kinds of Bamboo cutting boards techniques. One called bamboo cutting board from bamboo strips, the other one called the bamboo cutting boards shaped from whole bamboo tubes. The whole process is different.
Bamboo cutting board technique
Bamboo cutting board from bamboo strips
1. The freshly harvested bamboo stalks are cut into strips, lengthwise.
2. Following that it's dried to remove moisture.
3. Finally, the strips will be hot-pressed together with approved food grade glue (edible)
Bamboo cutting boards shaped from whole bamboo tubes
Instead of cutting the bamboo stalk into strips, the whole bamboo tubes are manufactured with innovative technology by press the flattened single piece bamboo sections together without any joint on the both surfaces. 3-ply layer structure make it strong and durable and not easy to warp.
What is the main difference between the 2 kinds of Bamboo cutting boards?
Compared with the Bamboo cutting boards shaped from whole bamboo tubes, the Bamboo cutting board from bamboo strips are hot-pressed together with edible glues, this can lead to your boards warping, cracking subjected to extreme heat or moisture. Moreover, you need to be aware of the strength when you chop food.
On the other hand, Bamboo cutting board from bamboo strips can offer more creative and aesthetic design for customers. The natural beauty of the crossed bamboo texture is unique, beautiful and durable eye-catcher.
Many advantages of the Bamboo cutting boards shaped from whole bamboo tubes are listed as below.
The advantages of the Bamboo cutting boards shaped from whole bamboo tubes
- Healthy---Seamless surface means NO glue on surface and NO formaldehyde contact with food; NO any coating or dyes or any chemicals on the surface
- Durable---3-ply layer structure make it strong and durable and not easy to warp.
- Save Knife，anti-bacterial, strong and solid but light, eco-friendly, easy to clean and maintain
- Aroma---wonderful scent, soft, green, and fresh
SunCha Co., ltd devoted itself in producing and researching in the field of Bamboo and Wood Kitchenware, it is a innovation firm focused on designing products with technical equipment for automatic production.
With innovative products, sustainable qualities, creative design concept and excellent customer services, SunCha Co., ltd is committed to create a healthy, environmentally-friendly, culturally-oriented life for hundreds of millions of families and welfares of human beings.
The diagram below explains the process of making the Bamboo cutting boards shaped from whole bamboo tubes by SunCha Co., ltd
1. Carefully selected the raw material of moso bamboo at the peak of maturity between 5 to 6 years.
2. Instead of cutting the bamboo stalk into strips, the whole stalk is cut into 3mm bamboo tubes in diameter
3. The flattened single piece bamboo sections are sent through a carbonizing process of steaming under controlled pressure and heat.
4. And then it will be expanded physically.
5. The inner and outer skins (bark) are removed and flattened
6. Finally, the flattened single piece bamboo sections will be combined without any joint on the both surfaces.
Detailed information of SunCha Bamboo cutting boards shaped from whole bamboo tubes
- Certificate: SunCha Bamboo cutting boards shaped from whole bamboo tubes are tested in accordance with the LFGB standard!
- Material: choose the essence parts of Moso Bamboos from above 800 Meter sea level
- Quality: 3-ply layer structure make it strong and durable and not easy to warp
- Technique: the technique for processing the Bamboo from dry and carbonization
- Stabilized its physical structure as well as the chemical properties
- Design: the BUILT-IN DRIP GROOVE holds juice from meat, fruits or vegetables.
Tipps to the Bamboo cutting boards shaped from whole bamboo tubes by SunCha Co., ltd
Each bamboo has its own shape, so there will be different bamboo textures in each Bamboo Cutting Board.
How to maintain SunCha bamboo cutting boards
To extend the life of your bamboo board and to keep it looking new, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and care. Generally, bamboo cutting boards don’t require a lot of maintenance to retain their functionality and beautiful appearance.
Here are some basic tips for proper care of bamboo cutting boards.
- Prior to its first use, you need to seal and condition your new and untreated bamboo board with a food grade mineral oil. Apply the oil to a clean rag and rub thoroughly across your board. Place the board in an upright position and leave it overnight to let the oil set. Oil creates a protective seal that repels water, prevents splitting, and gives a beautiful, smooth finish.
- Long-Term Use
- Wash and dry the cutting board immediately after each use.
- Don’t ever let your bamboo board soak in the sink or go into the dishwasher. Long exposure to water (and heat in the dishwasher) will warp or crack your board faster than you can say “Oops.” Instead, wash your board with some warm water and soap, rinse it, and dry it completely with a towel. Stand the board vertically on its side to dry or lean it in an open-air dish rack.
- It is highly recommended to use 2 bamboo cutting boards to reduce the risk of foodborne illness in your kitchen (one for vegetables, and one for meat)
- You can replace a new bamboo cutting board on a yearly basis